Hi all,

I am not sure if we have discussed about this before, but recently I
realized that we have introduced boot dependency of the kafka-server
specified by the "bootstrap.servers" config in the new producer. More
specifically, although in the old producer we also have a similar config
for specifying the broker list, the producer will not try to connect to
those brokers until the first message send call is triggered; whereas in
the new producer, it will try to talk to them in construction time via:

update(Cluster.bootstrap(addresses), time.milliseconds());

I personally am neutral to this change, as in most cases the corresponding
kafka server should be up and running before the producer clients are
deployed, but there are still some corner cases when it is not true, for
example some standalone deployment tests of the app embedded with some
clients, etc. So I would like to bring this up to people's attention if we
have not discussed about it before: do we think this is OK to introduce
this boot dependency in the new producer?

-- Guozhang