I think having dedicated registries would have been a better choice -
it sort of just ended up like this. We made note of this in KAFKA-1567
as well if you read through those comments but concluded that it will
be a larger refactoring at this point - which may not be worth it
since we intend to move over to the new metrics package available in
the kafka-clients package.