Thanks, Gwen. This looks good to me as far as the wire protocol versioning
goes. I agree with you on defaulting to the new wire protocol version for
new installs. I think it will also need to be very clear (to general
installer of Kafka, and not just developers) in documentation when the wire
protocol version changes moving forwards, and what the risk/benefit of
changing to the new version is.

Since a rolling upgrade of the intra-cluster protocol is supported, will a
rolling downgrade work as well? Should a flaw (bug, security, or otherwise)
be discovered after upgrade, is it possible to change the wire.protocol.version
back to 0.8.2 and do a rolling bounce?

On the host/port/protocol specification, specifically the ZK config format,
is it possible to have an un-advertised endpoint? I would see this as
potentially useful if you wanted to have an endpoint that you are reserving
for intra-cluster communication, and you would prefer to not have it
advertised at all. Perhaps it is blocked by a firewall rule or other
authentication method. This could also allow you to duplicate a security
protocol type but segregate it on a different port or interface (if it is
unadvertised, there is no ambiguity to the clients as to which endpoint
should be selected). I believe I asked about that previously, and I didn't
track what the final outcome was or even if it was discussed further.

-Todd