Hi Jun,

Yes, as Guozhang said, the main reason we set a flag is because close(0)
is expected to be called by sender thread itself.
If we want to maintain the semantic meaning of close(), one alternative is
to have an abort() method does the same thing as close(0) except cleanup.
And in close(timeout), after timeout we call abort() and join the sender
thread. This was one of the previous proposal. We merged abort to close(0)
because they are almost doing the same thing. But from what you mentioned,
it might make sense to have two separate methods.

Thanks.

Jiangjie (Becket) Qin