Guys,

Thanks for the discussion!

1. Q: How KAFKA-1367 (isr is inconsistent in brokers' metadata cache) can
        affect implementation?
    A: We can fix this issue for the leading broker - ReplicaManager (or
Partition)
        component should have accurate isr list, then with leading broker
having correct
        info, to do a describe-topic we will need to define leading brokers
for partitions
        and ask those for a correct isr list.
        Also, we should consider adding lag information to TMR for each
follower for
        partition reassignment, as Jun suggested above.

2. Q: What if user adds different alter commands for the same topic in scope
         of one batch request?
    A: Because of the async nature of AlterTopicRequest it will be very
hard then
        to "assemble" the expected (in terms of checking whether request is
complete)
        result if we let users do this. Also it will be very confusing. It
was proposed not to
        let users do this (probably add new Error for such cases).

3. Q: AlterTopicRequest semantics: now when we merged AlterTopic and
        ReassingPartitons in which order AlterTopic fields should be
resolved?
    A: This item is not clear. There was a proposal to let user change only
        one thing at a time, e.g. specify either new Replicas, or
ReplicaAssignment.
        This can be a simple solution, but it's a very strict rule. E.g.
currently with
        TopicCommand user can increase nr of partitions and define replica
assignment
        for newly added partitions. Taking into account item 2. this will
be even harder
        for user to achieve this.

4. Q: Do we need such accurate errors returned from the server:
InvalidArgumentPartitions,
         InvalidArgumentReplicas etc.
    A: I started implementation to add proposed error codes and now I think
probably
        InvalidArgumentError should be sufficient. We can do simple
validations on
        the client side (e.g. AdminClient can ensure nr of partitions
argument is positive),
        others - which can be covered only on server (probably invalid
topic config,
        replica assignment includes dead broker etc) - will be done on
server, and in case
        of invalid argument we will return InvalidArgumentError without
specifying the
        concrete field.

It'd be great if we could cover these remaining issues, looks like they are
minor,
at least related to specific messages, not the overall protocol. - I think
with that I can
update confluence page and update patch to reflect all discussed items.
This patch
will probably include Wire protocol messages and server-side code to handle
new
requests. AdminClient and cli-tool implementation can be the next step.

Thanks,
Andrii Biletskyi