Currently the clients consumer (trunk) sends offset commit requests of
version 2.  The 0.8.2 brokers fail to handle this particular request
with a:

java.lang.AssertionError: assertion failed: Version 2 is invalid for
OffsetCommitRequest. Valid versions are 0 or 1.

I was able to make this work via a forceful downgrade of this
particular request, but I would like some feedback on whether a
"enable.commit.downgrade" configuration would be a tolerable method to
allow 0.8.3 consumers to interact with 0.8.2 brokers.  I'm also
interested in this even being a goal worth pursuing.

Thanks,
Sean