From: Joe Stein [joe.st...@stealth.ly]
Sent: Friday, May 01, 2015 5:25 AM
To: dev@kafka.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-21 Configuration Management

Hi Aditya, thanks for the write up and focusing on this piece.

Agreed we need something that we can do broker changes dynamically without
rolling restarts.

I think though if every broker is getting changes it with notifications it
is going to limit which configs can be dynamic.

We could never deliver a "stop the world" configuration change because then
that would happen on the entire cluster to every broker on the same time.

Can maybe just the controller get the notification?

And we provide a layer for brokers to work with the controller to-do the
config change operations at is discretion (so it can stop things if needs).

controller gets notification, sends AdminChangeNotification to broker [X ..
N] then brokers can do their things, even send a response for heartbeating
while it takes the few milliseconds it needs or crashes. We need to go
through both scenarios.

I am worried we put this change in like this and it works for quotas and
maybe a few other things but nothing else gets dynamic and we don't get far
enough for almost no more rolling restarts.

~ Joe Stein

  http://www.stealth.ly