Andri,

Let me clarify a bit how things work now. You can see if this fits your
need or if it can be improved. If you look at OffsetCommitRequest, our
convention is the following.

1. The request object can be constructed from a set of required fields. The
client typically constructs a request object this way. There will be one
constructor for each version. The version id is not specified explicitly
since it's implied by the input parameters. Every time we introduce a new
version, we will add a new constructor of this form. We will leave the old
constructors as they are, but mark them as deprecated. Code compiled with
the old Kafka jar will still work with the new Kafka jar before we actually
remove the deprecated constructors.

2. The request object can also be constructed from a struct. This is
typically used by the broker to convert network bytes into a request
object. Currently, the constructor looks for specific fields in the struct
to distinguish which version it corresponds to.

3. In both cases, the request object always tries to reflect the fields in
the latest version. We use the following convention when mapping older
versions to the latest version in the request object:  If a new field is
added, we try to use a default for the missing field in the old version. If
a field is removed, we simply ignore it in the old version.

Thanks,

Jun