I had to go look this one up again to make sure -

The only valid character names for topics are alphanumeric, underscore, and
dash. A period is not supposed to be a valid character to use. If you're
seeing them, then one of two things have happened:

1) You have topic names that are grandfathered in from before that patch
2) The patch is not working properly and there is somewhere in the broker
that the standard is not being enforced.

-Todd