As crazy as it sounds, there is an actual use-case there.

Writing to HDFS can be very slow, so if you do a batch dump from a
topic to HDFS, you may want more consumers reading from the topic than
for "normal" streaming use-cases. We ended up modifying Camus to split
a partition between multiple mappers (take start and end offsets and
divide into ranges) to solve this problem. Not exactly a round-robin
but same idea.

I think thats what J A was referring to in "decoupling consumers" -
different consumers have slightly different requirements.

Gwen