On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 2:00 AM, Jay Kreps <j...@confluent.io> wrote:

> I do agree that working with a mixture of scala and java is a pain in the
> butt. What about considering the more extreme idea of just moving the
> remaining server-side scala into java? I like Scala, but the tooling and
> compatibility story for java is better, and Java 8 addressed some of the
> gaps. For a system like Kafka I do kind of think that what Scala offers is
> less useful, and the kind of boring Java tooling like IDE support,
> findbugs, checkstyle, simple exception stack traces, and a good
> compatability story is more important.

I can certainly see the case for avoiding the complexity of two different
languages (assuming that the benefits are not worth it). However, I am not
sure about the "findbugs, checkstyle" point. Static checking is an area
that Scala does quite well (better than Java in many ways): scalastyle,
abide, scalariform, wartremover, scapegoat, etc. And Scala 2.11 also has a
number of Xlint warnings.

Best,
Ismael