I thought batch was dead? :-)

Yeah I think this would be really useful. Kafka kind of allows you to unify
batch and streams since you produce or consume your stream on your own
schedule so you would want the ingress/egress to work the same.

Ewen, rather than sleeping, I think the use case is that I want to be able
to crontab up the copycat process to run hourly or daily to either push or
pull data and then quit when there is no more data. Scheduling the process
to start is easy, the challenge is how does copycat know it is done?

The sink side is a little easier since you can define the end of the stream
to be the last offset for each partition at the time the connector starts
(this is what Camus does iirc). So at startup you check the end offset for
each partition, a partition is complete when it reaches that offset. When
all jobs are complete the process exists.

Not sure how the source side could work since the offset concept is
heterogenous across different systems.

-Jay