This thread has gone rather long.  So I might not be fully clear on
everybody's positions.

To make sure I understand the possible proposals.  Here is a concrete and
'must have' scenario for LinkedIn.

We want to bootstrap from say a Database dump (espresso) into a kafka
topic.  (Databus bootstrap)
What should be the creationTime that we stamp when we send into the Kafka
topic ?
Would we use the time at which the database record was touched (event time)
? or should it just be the local system time when we are publishing into
the Kafka bootstrap topic.

If it is the former (original database update time), then if I understand
the proposal then we would set the max.append.delay to be large and allow
the message to be produced into Kafka.  However this would mean that older
events could possibly (in the worst case) be cleaned up as soon as they are
published ?  So this option wouldn't work.

If it is the later (when we publish into kafka.. we just stamp the current
local time ), then that would work.. it is however as good as stamping it
on the broker..   In this world the "event time" will be in the avro
payload.. in case a downstream application wants to know when the event
actually happened.