Hi All,

Here is meeting notes from today’s KIP meeting:

1. We agreed to keep the scope of this KIP to be producer and consumer
interceptors only. Broker-side interceptor will be added later as a
separate KIP. The reasons were already mentioned in this thread, but the
summary is:
 * Broker interceptor is riskier and requires careful consideration about
overheads, whether to intercept leaders vs. leaders/replicas, what to do on
leader failover and so on.
 * Broker interceptors increase monitoring resolution, but not including it
in this KIP does not reduce usefulness of producer and consumer
interceptors that enable end-to-end monitoring

2. We agreed to scope ProducerInterceptor and ConsumerInterceptor callbacks
to minimal set of mutable API that are not dependent on producer and
consumer internal implementation.

ProducerInterceptor:
*ProducerRecord<K, V> onSend(ProducerRecord<K, V> record);*
*void onAcknowledgement(RecordMetadata metadata, Exception exception);*

ConsumerInterceptor:
*ConsumerRecords<K, V> onConsume(ConsumerRecords<K, V> records);*
*void onCommit(Map<TopicPartition, OffsetAndMetadata> offsets);*

We will allow interceptors to modify ProducerRecord on producer side, and
modify ConsumerRecords on consumer side. This will support end-to-end
monitoring and auditing and support the ability to add metadata for a
message. This will support Todd’s Auditing and Routing use-cases.

We did not find any use-case for modifying records in onConsume() callback,
but decided to enable modification of consumer records for symmetry with
onSend().

3. We agreed to ensure compatibility when/if we add new methods to
ProducerInterceptor and ConsumerInterceptor by using default methods with
an empty implementation. Ok to assume Java 8. (This is Ismael’s method #2).

4. We decided not to add any callbacks to producer and consumer
interceptors that will depend on internal implementation as part of this
KIP. However, it is possible to add them later as part of another KIP if
there are good use-cases.

*Reasoning.* We did not have concrete use-cases that justified more methods
at this point. Some of the use-cases were for more fine-grain latency
collection, which could be done with Kafka Metrics. Another use-case was
encryption. However, there are several design options for encryption. One
is to do per-record encryption which would require adding
ProducerInterceptor.onEnqueued() and ConsumerInterceptor.onReceive(). One
could argue that in that case encryption could be done by adding a custom
serializer/deserializer. Another option is to do encryption after message
gets compressed, but there are issues that arise regarding broker doing
re-compression. We decided that it is better to have that discussion in a
separate KIP and decide that this is something we want to do with
interceptors or by other means.

Todd, Mayuresh and others who missed the KIP meeting, please let me know
your thoughts on the scope we agreed on during the meeting.

I will update the KIP proposal with the current decision by end of today.

Thanks,
Anna