I'm in favor of Guozhang's proposal. I think that logic is a bit hacky, but
I agree that this is better than the alternative, and the hackiness only
effects people using log append time which I think will be pretty uncommon.
I think setting that bit will have the additional added value that
consumers can know the meaning of the timestamp.

-Jay