Looking at "existing solutions", it looks like Zookeeper allows plugging in
any SASL mechanism, but the server will only support one mechanism at a
time.
If this is good enough for our use-case (do we actually need to support
multiple mechanisms at once?), it will simplify life a lot for us (
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/Zookeeper+and+SASL)