Hi Becket,

Good points. Some comments inline.

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 8:45 PM, Becket Qin <becket....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good point on the upgrade path. The release plan says that 0.10.0.0 is
> targeted in Q2, 2016. If that is accurate, there are 6-7 months between
> 0.9.0.0 and 0.10.0.0, i.e. there are still about five months before the
> next release.

I am not sure how accurate that release plan[1] is since it was last
updated in September 2015 (before 0.9.0.0 was released).
For comparison, Kafka 0.7.0 was released in January 2012, 0.8.0 in December
2013 (almost two years later), 0.9.0.0 in November 2015 (almost two years
later). It is likely that this will be the fastest major release bump by
far. It is not necessarily an issue, but we should take special care to
help users.

Our previous documentation only provides documentation on how
> to upgrade from the last official release. If the releasing interval is a
> concern, we can add documentation on how to upgrade from 0.8.x to 0.10.0.0
> directly. Alternatively, we can suggest user to first upgrade to 0.9.0.0
> then upgrade to 0.10.0.0.

These are the options indeed. If there is an upgrade path from 0.8.2.x to
0.10.0.0 that is simpler than having to upgrade to 0.9.0.x first, I think
it would be valuable to document it as our users would appreciate it. This
is obviously more work (we would want to write ducktape tests to ensure
that the documentation steps actually work as we expect) and it potentially
introduces new failure scenarios. I'd be interested in what others think.

Ismael

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Future+release+plan