Gwen,

I am not sure I understand your concern. Java login contexts support
multiple login modules precisely to support this type of real-world
scenario.

>From Javadoc of *javax.security.auth.login.LoginContext*:

*In addition to supporting pluggable authentication, this class also
supports the notion of stacked authentication. Applications may be
configured to use more than one LoginModule. For example, one could
configure both a Kerberos LoginModule and a smart card LoginModule under an
application. *

* A typical caller instantiates a LoginContext with a name and a
CallbackHandler. LoginContext uses the name as the index into a
Configuration to determine which LoginModules should be used, and which
ones must succeed in order for the overall authentication to succeed. The
CallbackHandler is passed to the underlying LoginModules so they may
communicate and interact with users (prompting for a username and password
via a graphical user interface, for example).*

If it is good enough for Java, surely it must be good enough for Kafka. We
don't expect users to directly use existing classes when they want to
support complex new mechanisms. Login is not a standard interface, and we
want to make callback handlers configurable. So we do require users to wrap
their existing classes in our interface. And the interfaces make it
possible to plugin any number of mechanisms. Am I missing something?

--
Regards,

Rajini