Agreed w/ Jay's comment on the PR that this is a great idea. What if we
included this as is, but instead of putting it all on the docs page we put
it on its own page? This:

1. Gets us something useful wrt protocol docs immediately. As you point
out, this is already useful to a bunch of people.
2. Doesn't block on us figuring out a better way of managing docs (although
this may need adjustment once we choose a different format for docs).
3. Gets the code checked in so any requests for refinements around protocol
docs can often be resolved with a patch to the code for autogenerating them.

-Ewen

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 11:57 PM, Grant Henke <ghe...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> We have gotten a lot of requests for updating the protocol documentation:
>
>    - KAFKA-3124: Update protocol wiki page to reflect latest
>    request/response formats
>    - KAFKA-2865: Improve Request API Error Code Documentation
>    - KAFKA-3099: Please update A+Guide+To+The+Kafka+Protocol Wiki
>    - KAFKA-2495: Protocol guide only partially updated after
>    ConsumerMetadata* addition?
>    - KAFKA-2494: Document ReplicaId in OffsetRequest in the protocol guide
>
> Generating some docs to go either in the wiki or on the actual
> documentation site would definitely be valuable and ensure our protocol
> docs are up to date. Although the output could be fairly large, so I am not
> sure it should go on the main page of our "one page" documentation site, as
> the page is already fairly long to scroll.
>
> I made a very rough, super hacky, implementation that outputs some useful
> data in a similar format to the existing wiki. There is a pull request and
> a gist of the output for anyone that it could help in the mean time (links
> below).  In the patch I listed some "todo" comments for things I would
> still like to see in the output. I don't have time to polish up the patch
> to completion now, due to other priorities.
>
> Is anyone interested in finishing the patch? If so please feel free to use
> or ignore the code shared.
>
>    - Pull request: https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/970
>    - Gist of output:
>
> https://gist.github.com/granthenke/dae9e60b5e548acead58#file-kafka_protocol-html