Hi there!

It was probably sent to the wrong list?
Wish I can get some answer here.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Zaiming Shi <zmst...@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 6:03 PM
Subject: consumer group, why commit requests are not considered as
effective heartbeats?
To: us...@kafka.apache.org

Hi there!

We have noticed that when committing requests are sent intensively, we
receive IllegalGenerationId.
Here is the settings we had problem with: session-timeout: 30 sec,
heartbeat-rate: 3 sec.
Problem resolved by increasing the session timeout to 180 sec.

So I suppose, due to whatever reason (either the client didn't send
heartbeat, or the broker didn't process the heartbeats in time), the
session was considered dead in group coordinator.

My question is: why commit requests can't be taken as an indicator of
member being alive? hence not to kill the session.

Regards
-Zaiming