We might want to take a call here. Following are the options.

   1. Let KIP-50 be the way it is, i.e., just add getDescription() to
   existing scala authorizer interface. It will break binary compatibility
   (only when using CLI and/or AdminCommand from >= 0.10 against authorizer
   implementations based on 0.9.). If we go this route, it is a simpler change
   and existing implementations won’t have to change anything on their end.
   2. Increase scope of KIP-50 to move authorizer and related classes to a
   separate package. The new package will have java interface. This will allow
   implementations to not depend on kafka core and just on authorizer package,
   make authorization interface follow kafka’s coding standards and will allow
   java implementations to be cleaner. We can either completely drop scala
   interface, which might be a pain for existing implementations, or we can
   have scala interface wrap java interface. Later allows a cleaner
   deprecation path for existing scala authorizer interface, however it may or
   may not be feasible as Kafka server will have to somehow decide which
   interface it should be looking for while loading authorizer implementation,
   this can probably be solved with a config or some reflection. If we choose
   to go this route, I can dig deeper.

If we decide to go with option 1, I think it would be fair to say that
scala authorizer interface will be around for some time, as there will be
more implementations relying on it. If we go with option 2 and commit on
getting this in ASAP, preferably in 0.10, there will be fewer
implementations that will be affected.

*Another thing to notice is that scala authorizer interface is not
annotated as unstable.*
​

--

Regards,