Hi Ismael,
              This will solve both binary and source compatibility.
              Storm has new KafkaSpout that used 0.9.x new KafkaSpout
              API. As part of that spout we used
              KafkaConsumer.seekToBeginning and other methods. Since the
              method signature changed as part of KIP-45. If we update
              the version to 0.10 we are breaking the KafkaConsumer
              calls in our Storm spout. In storm's case we ask users to
              create uber jar with all the required dependencies and
              users can free to use which version of kafka they can to
              be part of uber jar. If they use storm 1.0 release version
              of storm-kafka with kafka 0.10 than it will create issues
              without the patch.
             I am still not getting clear answer here. Whats exactly the
             issue in having these methods with deprecated tag? we keep
             the interface as it is.

Thanks,
Harsha