We are in the process of upgrading the broker to Kafka 0.10.0.0.  The
following documentation is not too clear to us:
"By setting the message format version, one certifies that all
existing messages are on or below that message format version.
Otherwise consumers before 0.10.0.0 might break."
http://kafka.apache.org/0100/documentation.html#upgrade_10_performance_impact

What exactly does that mean? Do we have to explicitly set
"log.message.format.version" on the broker to 0.10.0.0, and if we
don't, older consumer clients break? Note that our consumer and
producer clients are still on older versions (0.8.2.X, 0.9.0.X) at
this point, and we need to continue supporting them for a while.

Thanks in advance!
Kiran