GitHub user wushujames opened a pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/1527

    KAFKA-3809: Auto-generate documentation for topic-level configuration

    @ijuma said that it would make sense to split out this work from
KAFKA-3234, since KAFKA-3234 had both a mechanical change (generating docs) as
well as a change requiring discussion (deprecating/renaming config options).

    @jjkoshy, I hope you don't mind that I took over this work. It's been 3
months since the last activity on KAFKA-3234, so I thought it would be okay to
take over.

    This work is essentially is the first 5-6 commits from Joel's
https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/907. However, since I'm not very
experienced with git, I didn't do a direct merge/rebase, but instead largely
hand-merged it. I did some minor cleanup. All credit goes to Joel, all blame
goes to me. :)

    For reference, I attached the auto-generated configuration.html file (as a
PDF, because github won't let me attached html).

[configuration.pdf](https://github.com/apache/kafka/files/323901/configuration.pdf)

    This is my first time writing Scala, so let me know if there are any
changes needed.

    I don't know who is the right person to review this. @ijuma, can you help
me redirect this to the appropriate person? Thanks.

    $ git pull https://github.com/wushujames/kafka generate_topic_docs

    https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/1527.patch

    This closes #1527

----
commit 91aa7ff404ba0cdb3d1004591a7e96b5cab98319