I would like to initiate the voting process for the "KIP-4 Delete Topics
Schema changes". This is not a vote for all of KIP-4, but specifically for
the delete topics changes. I have included the exact changes below for
clarity:

> [...]
> was
>       valid and the topic deletion was triggered.
>    8. The request is not transactional.
>       1. If an error occurs on one topic, the others could still be
>       deleted.
>       2. Errors are reported independently.
>
> QA:
>
>    - Why is DeleteTopicsRequest a batch request?
>       - Scenarios where tools or admins want to delete many topics should
>       be able to with fewer requests
>       - Example: Removing all cluster topics
>    - What happens if some topics error immediately? Will it
>    return immediately?
>       - The request will block until all topics have either been deleted,
>       errors, or the timeout has been hit
>       - There is no "short circuiting" where 1 error stops the other
>       topics from being deleted
>    - Why have a timeout at all? Deletes could take a while?
>       - True some deletes may take a while or never finish, however some
>       admin tools may want extended blocking regardless.
>       - If you don't want any blocking setting a timeout of 0 works.
>       - Future changes may make deletes much faster. See the Follow Up
>       Changes
>
> <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-4+-+Command+line+and+centralized+administrative+operations#KIP-4-Commandlineandcentralizedadministrativeoperations-follow-up-changes>
>  section
>       above.
>    - Why implement "partial blocking" instead of fully async or fully
>    consistent?
>       - See Cluster Consistent Blocking
>
> <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-4+-+Command+line+and+centralized+administrative+operations#KIP-4-Commandlineandcentralizedadministrativeoperations-cluster-consistent-blocking>
>        below
>    - Why require the request to go to the controller?
>       - The controller is responsible for the cluster metadata and its
>       propagation
>       - See Request Forwarding
>
> <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-4+-+Command+line+and+centralized+administrative+operations#KIP-4-Commandlineandcentralizedadministrativeoperations-request>
>        below
>
> Delete Topics Response
>
> DeleteTopics Response (Version: 0) => [topic_error_codes]
>   topic_error_codes => topic error_code
>     topic => STRING
>     error_code => INT16
>
> DeleteTopicsResponse contains a map between topic and topic creation
> result error code (see New Protocol Errors
> <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-4+-+Command+line+and+centralized+administrative+operations#KIP-4-Commandlineandcentralizedadministrativeoperations-NewProtocolErrors>
> ).
>
> Response semantics:
>
>    1. When a request hits the timeout, the topics that are not "complete"
>    will have the TimeoutException error code.
>       - The topics that did complete successfully with have no error.

The KIP is available here for reference (linked to the Create Topics schema
section):
*https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-4+-+Command+line+and+centralized+administrative+operations#KIP-4-Commandlineandcentralizedadministrativeoperations-DeleteTopicsRequest(KAFKA-2946)
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-4+-+Command+line+and+centralized+administrative+operations#KIP-4-Commandlineandcentralizedadministrativeoperations-DeleteTopicsRequest(KAFKA-2946)>*

A sample patch is on github:
https://github.com/granthenke/kafka/tree/delete-wire-new
Note: This branch and patch is based on the CreateTopic request/response
PR. I will open a PR once that patch is complete.

Here is a link to the past discussion on the mailing list:

*http://search-hadoop.com/m/uyzND1fokOBn6uNd2&subj=+DISCUSS+KIP+4+Delete+Topic+Schema
<http://search-hadoop.com/m/uyzND1fokOBn6uNd2&subj=+DISCUSS+KIP+4+Delete+Topic+Schema>*

Thank you,
Grant