Good question, let me clarify my thinking:

We were used to doing every year (or even at lower frequency). So the
expectation was that users will just upgrade once a year and we
wouldn't worry about backporting bugfixes to bugs that were over a
year old. It seemed pretty reasonable.

But if we are trying for 3 releases a year... well, almost no one
(except Todd Palino) upgrades 3 times a year. Its like running 50
miles: Doable for some, but definitely not for everyone :)

Basically, the same reasoning behind the desire to support upgrades
for two years: We think it isn't reasonable to ask people to upgrade
every 4 month, so we need to make sure that staying on a year-old
version is still feasible and this includes fixing critical bugs that
are found in the older release (that really isn't all that old) and
publishing bugfix releases every once in a while.

This doesn't really change the way we do versioning or branching
(although our versioning could be slightly broken too, its a different
story). It just means that I propose backporting more patches for
critical bugs and doing some releases off older branches (which we
didn't in the past).

Does that make sense?

Gwen

--