We just started enabling SSL for our Kafka brokers and (Java) clients and among some of the issues we are running into, one of them is the flooding of the server/broker Kafka logs where we are seeing these messages:

[2016-09-02 08:07:13,773] WARN SSL peer is not authenticated, returning ANONYMOUS instead (org.apache.kafka.common.network.SslTransportLayer) [2016-09-02 08:07:15,710] WARN SSL peer is not authenticated, returning ANONYMOUS instead (org.apache.kafka.common.network.SslTransportLayer) [2016-09-02 08:07:15,711] WARN SSL peer is not authenticated, returning ANONYMOUS instead (org.apache.kafka.common.network.SslTransportLayer) [2016-09-02 08:07:15,711] WARN SSL peer is not authenticated, returning ANONYMOUS instead (org.apache.kafka.common.network.SslTransportLayer) [2016-09-02 08:07:15,712] WARN SSL peer is not authenticated, returning ANONYMOUS instead (org.apache.kafka.common.network.SslTransportLayer)

They just keep going on and on. In our SSL setup, we have the broker configured with the keystore and the Java clients have been configured with a proper truststore and all works fine except for these messages flooding the logs. We don't have any ACLs setup nor have we enabled client auth check.

Looking at the code which generates this WARN message https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/trunk/clients/src/main/java/org/apache/kafka/common/network/SslTransportLayer.java#L638 and the fact that the setup we have (where we just enable server/broker cert validation) is, IMO, a valid scenario and not some exceptional/incorrect setup issue, I think this log message is something that can be removed from the code (or at least logged at a very lower level given the frequency at which this gets logged)

Any thoughts on this?

It's a pretty straightforward change and if this change is something that sounds right, I can go ahead and submit a PR.

P.S: This is both on 0.9.0.1 and latest 0.10.0.1.

-Jaikiran