Thanks for the comment Jun. Please see the reply in line

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 10:21 AM, Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io>
wrote:

> +1 on Jun's suggestion to use "beginning" and "end". The term "latest" is
> misleading since the last message in the log may not have the largest
> timestamp.
>
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 9:49 AM, Jun Rao <j...@confluent.io> wrote:
>
> > Hi, Jiangjie,
> >
> > Thanks for the proposal. Looks good to me overall. Just a couple of minor
> > comments.
> >
> > 1. I thought at some point you considered to only return offset in
> > offsetsForTimes instead of offset and timestamp. One benefit of doing
> that
> > is that it will make the return type consistent among all three new apis.
> > It also feels a bit weird that we only return timestamp, but not other
> > metadata associated with a message.

I changed the interface for earliestOffsets() and latestOffsets() to return
only offset instead of OffsetAndTimestamp because the timestamp may not
always be meaningful.
For offsetsForTimes(), the primary reason to return the timestamp with
offset is because the found timestamp may not always be the same as target
timestamp. Returning timestamp with offset may be useful if users do not
always want to read the message afterwards. For example, user may not want
to consume a message if its timestamp is too far away from the target
timestamp. Also users may only want to perform some query based timestamp
without consuming all the messages. e.g. total number of messages in a time
range. I did not think much about other metadata of the message because it
seems the interface only cares about the timestamp and the offsets.

> > 2. To be consistent with existing seek apis, would it be better to rename
> > earliestOffsets() and latestOffsets() to beginningOffsets() and
> > endOffsets()?

Good point, will make the change. This makes the name align with
seekToBeginning() and seekToEnd().