Gwen,

Thank you for reviewing the KIP.

There has been interest in making the password verification in SASL/PLAIN
more pluggable. So I think it makes sense to have a pluggable interface
that can be adopted for any SASL mechanism rather than just SCRAM. With the
current proposal, you can plugin another Scram SaslServer implementation
with a different password store. This is similar to the current SASL/PLAIN
implementation.

I agree that it will be good to make password stores more pluggable rather
than require users to override the whole SaslServer. I was going to look
into this later, but I can do it as part of this KIP. Will update the KIP
with a pluggable interface.

Thank you,

Rajini

--