@magnus - and very dangerous (youre essentially downloading and executing
arbitrary code off the internet on your servers ... bad idea without a
sandbox, even with)

as for it being a purely administrative task - i disagree.

i wish it would, really, because then my earlier point on the complexity of
the remapping process would be invalid, but at linkedin, for example, we
(the team im in) run kafka as a service. we dont really know what our users
(developing applications that use kafka) are up to at any given moment. it
is very possible (given the existance of headers and a corresponding plugin
ecosystem) for some application to "equip" their producers and consumers
with the required plugin without us knowing. i dont mean to imply thats
bad, i just want to make the point that its not as simple keeping it in
sync across a large-enough organization.