Hi all,

With the recent release of scala 2.12 the community has been working toward
getting libraries released as 2.12 compiled binaries.  Although Kafka isn’t a
typical development library the scalatest-embedded-kafka project
(https://github.com/manub/scalatest-embedded-kafka
<https://github.com/manub/scalatest-embedded-kafka>) has a dependency on the
scala kafka module in order to stand up a Kafka instance for testing.  This
test library is used by reactive-kafka (https://github.com/akka/reactive-kafka
<https://github.com/akka/reactive-kafka>) to allow testing of the client
library against the kafka server.  As a result to publish reactive-kafka built
with 2.12 we need a release of both kafka and scalatest-embedded-kafka built
with 2.12.

The necessary changes have now been merged to the kafka repo on trunk (commit
f3aad3b54b7cbc5109d8398829a31100fd82b3e0) so the build with
'-PscalaVersion=2.12’ with JDK8 will now build with scala 2.12.

However as I understand it the next release from trunk for Kafka (0.10.2.0)
will be a time based release around the end of January so it would be great if
we could get this change back ported to the 0.10.1 branch and released as a
patch version so as to get the downstream projects migrated before then.
Building the original 0.10.1.0 artifacts with this change would be fine but it
may be easier to release a 0.10.1.1 version.

cheers,
bern