I think there are 3 main points that can be taken from that discussion with
regards to the timing:

1. We should do the switch no earlier than Kafka's next major version bump
(i.e. 0.11.0.0 at this point)
2. Some would prefer to support two Java versions, so we'd have to wait
until Kafka's next major version bump _after_ Java 9 is released. Java 9 is
currently scheduled to be released in July 2017. I like the guideline of
supporting two Java versions at a time, but multiple delays to Java 8 and 9
combined with huge improvements in Java 8 could provide the basis for an
exception.
3. Some would prefer the clients jar to support Java 7 for longer as there
are cases where it is hard to upgrade all clients to use Java 8 (maybe they
run in an older App Server that only supports Java 7, for example).

It seems like 1 is a hard requirement while 2 and 3 are less so. Given
that, I was planning to restart the conversation when we have a plan to
bump Kafka's major version (a message format change would quality
typically).

Ismael