> On Jan 5, 2017, at 3:47 AM, Edoardo Comar <eco...@uk.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> "Jiangjie Qin (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org> wrote on 05/01/2017 08:06:58:
>
>>    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-4497?
>> page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-
>> tabpanel&focusedCommentId=15800696#comment-15800696 ]
>>
>> Jiangjie Qin commented on KAFKA-4497:
>> -------------------------------------
>>
>> [~michael.andre.pearce] Thanks for helping test this again.
>>
>> If possible, could you enable trace level logging on
>> kafka.log.LogSegment. This will print out the timestamp and the
>> offset of the message with the largest timestamp, but it will
>> probably flood the log4j log. So enable this logging is optional and
>> preferred only when the issue can be reproduced pretty quickly.
>>

> Is it possible to *dynamically* reconfigure log4j so that one could turn
> tracing on/off for selected components
> without editing the log4j.properties and restarting Kafka ?

I've done it before using JMX.

If you have JMX enabled, you can use jconsole, connect to kafka, and do a
setLoggerLevel() to change the logging level of a particular package. It
changes it on a live server, without needing to reboot. It does not save the
change past a reboot.

I found this page that has the steps (with screenshots) that show how to do it:
http://www.javaworld.com/article/2073316/dynamic-java-log-levels-with-jmx-loggingmxbean--jconsole--visualvm--and-groovy.html

<http://www.javaworld.com/article/2073316/dynamic-java-log-levels-with-jmx-loggingmxbean--jconsole--visualvm--and-groovy.html>

-James