Hi Jan,

I understand your concern. One implication of not passing any store name and
just getting an IQ handle is that all KTables would need to be materialised.
Currently the store name (or proposed .materialize() call) act as hints on
whether to materialise the KTable or not. Materialising every KTable can be
expensive, although there are some tricks one can play, e.g., have a virtual
store rather than one backed by a Kafka topic.

However, even with the above, after getting an IQ handle, the user would still
need to use IQ APIs to query the state. As such, we would still continue to be
outside the original DSL so this wouldn't address your original concern.

So I read this suggestion as simplifying the APIs by removing the store name,
at the cost of having to materialise every KTable. It's definitely an option
we'll consider as part of this KIP.

Thanks
Eno