Damian,

I was thinking if it is a new failure scenarios but as Eno pointed out it
was not.

Another thing I was considering is if it has any impact for incorporating
KIP-98 to avoid duplicates: if there is a failure in the middle of a
transaction, then upon recovery we cannot rely on the local state store
file even if the checkpoint file exists, since the local state store file
may not be at the transaction boundaries. But since Streams will likely to
have EOS as an opt-in I think it is still worthwhile to add this feature,
just keeping in mind that when EOS is turned on it may cease to be
effective.

And yes, I'd suggest we leave the config value to be possibly non-positive
to indicate not turning on this feature for the reason above: if it will
not be effective then we want to leave it as an option to be turned off.

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang