Hi Jun,

Thanks for the review and comments. Please find the replies inline :

This is so that in the future, we can extend to types like group.
---> Yep, I did think the same. But since the SocketServer was always
creating User type, it wasn't actually used. If we go ahead with changes in
this KIP, we will give this power of creating different Principal types to
the PrincipalBuilder (which users can define there own). In that way Kafka
will not have to deal with handling this. So the Principal building and
Authorization will be opaque to Kafka which seems like an expected behavior.

Hmm, normally, the configurations you specify for plug-ins refer to those
needed to construct the plug-in object. So, it's kind of weird to use that
to call a method. For example, why can't principalBuilderService.rest.url
be passed in through the configure() method and the implementation can use
that to build principal. This way, there is only a single method to compute
the principal in a consistent way in the broker and in the kafka-acl tool.
----> We can do that as well. But since the rest url is not related to the
Principal, it seems out of place to me to pass it every time we have to
create a Principal. I should replace "principalConfigs" with
"principalProperties".
I was trying to differentiate the configs/properties that are used to
create the PrincipalBuilder class and the Principal/Principals itself.

For LinkedIn's use case, do you actually use the kafka-acl tool? My
understanding is that LinkedIn does authorization through an external tool.
----> For Linkedin's use case we don't actually use the kafka-acl tool
right now. As per the discussion that we had on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-4454, we thought that it would
be good to make kafka-acl tool changes, to make it flexible and we might be
even able to use it in future.

It seems it's simpler if kafka-acl doesn't to need to understand the
principal builder. The tool does authorization based on a string name,
which is expected to match the principal name. So, I am wondering why the
tool needs to know the principal builder.
----> If we don't make this change, I am not sure how clients/end users
will be able to use this tool if they have there own Authorizer that does
Authorization based on Principal, that has more information apart from name
and type.

What if we only make the following changes: pass the java principal in
session and in
SimpleAuthorizer, construct KafkaPrincipal from java principal name. Will
that work for LinkedIn?
----> This can work for Linkedin but as explained above, it does not seem
like a complete design from open source point of view.

Thanks,

Mayuresh

--
-Regards,