For APM single event tracing, need access to the header at the point of
processing on the processing thread.

As such interceptors will not work/be suitable for these, due to the fact they
act on the ConsumerRecords as a batch, before the handling thread can split out
and process per message which is the point these tools will need to continue to
transaction tracing.

Like wise tools and infra pieces will need access to the message outside the
interceptor realm.

On 17/02/2017, 21:26, "Jason Gustafson" <ja...@confluent.io> wrote:

    > That’s exactly what we’re doing the headers are a slice of bytes, which
    > then gets parsed later if needed, or can be parsed right away, the headers
    > is part of the protocol, so can still be validated if wanted.
    > If you had a header count then you would have to go through each header
    > key and value length value to work out how much to skip to get to say the
    > value or any future component in the message after the headers. Having it
    > as a byte[] with length value makes this a lot easier to skip.

    So the broker will parse the headers and validate them. Good. The only
    reason remaining that I can see to leave the headers as a byte array is to
    make it easier for the client to skip past them. Are we sure this is not
    premature optimization? Are there any performance results which show that
    this is worthwhile?

    What’s the issue with exposing a method getHeaders on the producer/consumer
    > record? It doesn’t break anything. We don’t need any special version.

    See my previous explanation. What I am trying to resist is the headers
    becoming a general application-level facility. The primary use case as far
    as I can tell is middleware, which is the use case that the interceptors
    are providing.

    Current batch consumer model and consumer interceptors don’t work where
    > headers need to be acted on at per message level at time of processing,
    > very case is APM (the core one), where the header value is used to
continue
    > tracing.

    I still don't understand the point about batching. The consumer records are
    exposed as a batch in the consumer interceptor, but you can still iterate
    them individually. It is no different for the consumer API itself.

    -Jason

    On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 12:48 PM, Michael Pearce <michael.pea...@ig.com>
    wrote:

> [...]
    > doesn't
    >         > take
    >         >     > away
    >         >     > >> from that at all. Nor makes it difficult at all in my
    > opinion.
    >         >     > >>
    >         >     > >>
    >         >     > >>
    >         >     > >> Sent using OWA for iPhone
    >         >     > >> ________________________________________
    >         >     > >> From: Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io>
    >         >     > >> Sent: Friday, February 17, 2017 5:55:42 PM
    >         >     > >> To: dev@kafka.apache.org
    >         >     > >> Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-82 - Add Record Headers
    >         >     > >>
    >         >     > >> >
    >         >     > >> > Would you be proposing in KIP-98 to convert the other
    > message
    >         > int’s
    >         >     > (key
    >         >     > >> > length, value length) also to varint to keep it
    > uniform.
    >         >     > >> > Also I assume there will be a static or helper method
    > made to
    >         >     > write/read
    >         >     > >> > these in the client and server.
    >         >     > >>
    >         >     > >>
    >         >     > >> Yes, that is what we are proposing, so using varints
    > for headers
    >         > would
    >         >     > be
    >         >     > >> consistent with the rest of the message. We have used
    > static
    >         > helper
    >         >     > >> methods
    >         >     > >> in our prototype implementation.
    >         >     > >>
    >         >     > >> The cost of parsing, we want to parse/interpret the
    > headers
    >         > lazily (this
    >         >     > >> is
    >         >     > >> > a key point brought up earlier in discussions)
    >         >     > >>
    >         >     > >>
    >         >     > >> I'm a bit skeptical of this. Has anyone done the
    > performance
    >         > testing? I
    >         >     > >> can
    >         >     > >> probably implement it and test it if no one else has. I
    > was also
    >         > under
    >         >     > the
    >         >     > >> impression that there may be use cases down the road
    > where the
    >         > broker
    >         >     > >> would
    >         >     > >> need to interpret headers. That wouldn't be off the
    > table in the
    >         > future
    >         >     > if
    >         >     > >> it's represented as bytes, but it would be quite a bit
    > more
    >         > awkward,
    >         >     > >> right?
    >         >     > >>
    >         >     > >> By the way, one question I have been wondering about.
My
> [...]
    >         >     > >> >         >> >> >     You can also argue that the
    > messages
    >         > already are
    >         >     > and
    >         >     > >> > are likely
    >         >     > >> >         >> >> > remain a
    >         >     > >> >         >> >> >     special case. For example, there
    > is
    >         > currently no
    >         >     > >> > generality in
    >         >     > >> >         >> how
    >         >     > >> >         >> >> >     compressed message sets are
    > represented
    >         > that would
    >         >     > >> be
    >         >     > >> > applicable
    >         >     > >> >         >> for
    >         >     > >> >         >> >> > other
    >         >     > >> >         >> >> >     request types. Some might see
this
    >         > divergence as
    >         >     > an
    >         >     > >> > unfortunate
    >         >     > >> >         >> >> > protocol
    >         >     > >> >         >> >> >     deficiency which should be fixed;
    > others
    >         > might see
    >         >     > >> it
    >         >     > >> > as sort of
    >         >     > >> >         >> the
    >         >     > >> >         >> >> >     inevitability of needing to
    > optimize where
    >         > it
    >         >     > counts
    >         >     > >> > most. I'm
    >         >     > >> >         >> probably
    >         >     > >> >         >> >> >     somewhere in between, but I think
    > we
    >         > probably all
    >         >     > >> > share the
    >         >     > >> >         >> intuition
    >         >     > >> >         >> >> > that
    >         >     > >> >         >> >> >     the protocol should be kept as
    > consistent as
    >         >     > >> possible.
    >         >     > >> > With that
    >         >     > >> >         >> in
    >         >     > >> >         >> >> > mind,
    >         >     > >> >         >> >> >     here are a few comments:
    >         >     > >> >         >> >> >
    >         >     > >> >         >> >> >     1. One thing I found a little odd
    > when
    >         > reading the
    >         >     > >> > current
    >         >     > >> >         >> proposal is
    >         >     > >> >         >> >> > that
    >         >     > >> >         >> >> >     the headers are both represented
    > as an
    >         > array of
    >         >     > >> bytes
    >         >     > >> > and as an
    >         >     > >> >         >> array
    >         >     > >> >         >> >> > of
    >         >     > >> >         >> >> >     key/value pairs. I'd probably
    > suggest
    >         > something
    >         >     > like
    >         >     > >> > this:
    >         >     > >> >         >> >> >
    >         >     > >> >         >> >> >     Headers => [HeaderKey
HeaderValue]
> [...]
    >         > not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or
    > disclose to
    >         > others this message or any attachment. Please also notify the
    > sender by
    >         > replying to this email or by telephone (+44(020 7896 0011) and
    > then delete
    >         > the email and any copies of it. Opinions, conclusion (etc) that
    > do not
    >         > relate to the official business of this company shall be
    > understood as
    >         > neither given nor endorsed by it. IG is a trading name of IG
    > Markets
    >         > Limited (a company registered in England and Wales, company
    > number
    >         > 04008957) and IG Index Limited (a company registered in England
    > and Wales,
    >         > company number 01190902). Registered address at Cannon Bridge
    > House, 25
    >         > Dowgate Hill, London EC4R 2YA. Both IG Markets Limited (register
    > number
    >         > 195355) and IG Index Limited (register number 114059) are
    > authorised and
    >         > regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
    >         >
    >         >
    >         >
    >         >

    >     The information contained in this email is strictly confidential and
    > for the use of the addressee only, unless otherwise indicated. If you are
    > not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose to
    > others this message or any attachment. Please also notify the sender by
    > replying to this email or by telephone (+44(020 7896 0011) and then delete
    > the email and any copies of it. Opinions, conclusion (etc) that do not
    > relate to the official business of this company shall be understood as
    > neither given nor endorsed by it. IG is a trading name of IG Markets
    > Limited (a company registered in England and Wales, company number
    > 04008957) and IG Index Limited (a company registered in England and Wales,
    > company number 01190902). Registered address at Cannon Bridge House, 25
    > Dowgate Hill, London EC4R 2YA. Both IG Markets Limited (register number
    > 195355) and IG Index Limited (register number 114059) are authorised and
    > regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

The information contained in this email is strictly confidential and for the
use of the addressee only, unless otherwise indicated. If you are not the
intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose to others this
message or any attachment. Please also notify the sender by replying to this
email or by telephone (+44(020 7896 0011) and then delete the email and any
copies of it. Opinions, conclusion (etc) that do not relate to the official
business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by
it. IG is a trading name of IG Markets Limited (a company registered in England
and Wales, company number 04008957) and IG Index Limited (a company registered
in England and Wales, company number 01190902). Registered address at Cannon