Hi Becket, Thanks for the kip.

I think one of the risks here is that when compression estimation is
disabled, you could have much smaller batches than expected, and throughput
could be hurt. It would be worth adding this to the documentation of this
setting.

Also, one of the rejected alternatives states that per topic estimations
would not work when the compression of individual messages is variable.
This is true in theory, but in practice one would expect Kafka topics to
have fairly homogenous data, and hence should compress evenly. I was
curious if you have data which shows otherwise.

Thanks,
Apurva