a few comments on the KIP as it is now:

1. instead of add(Header) + add (Iterable<Header>) i suggest we use add +
addAll. this is more in line with how java collections work and may
therefor be more intuitive

2. common user code dealing with headers will want get("someKey") /
set("someKey"), or equivalent. code using multiple headers under the same
key will be rare, and code iterating over all headers would be even rarer
(probably only for kafka-connect equivalent use cases, really). as the API
looks right now, the most common and trivial cases will be gnarly:
   get("someKey") -->
record.headers().headers("someKey").iterator().next().value(). and this is
before i start talking about how nulls/emptys are handled.
   replace("someKey") -->
record.headers().remove(record.headers().headers("someKey"));
record.headers().append(new Header("someKey", value));

this is why i think we should start with get()/set() which are single-value
map semantics (so set overwrites), then add getAll() (multi-map), append()
etc on top. make the common case pretty.