Hi Jun and everyone,

I would like to change the KIP in the following way. Currently, if any
replica if offline, the purge result for a partition will
be NotEnoughReplicasException and its low_watermark will be 0. The
motivation for this approach is that we want to guarantee that the data
before purgedOffset has been deleted on all replicas of this partition if
purge result indicates success.

But this approach seems too conservative. It should be sufficient in most
cases to just tell user success and set low_watermark to minimum
logStartOffset of all live replicas in the PurgeResponse if logStartOffset
of all live replicas have reached purgedOffset. This is because for an
offline replicas to become online and be elected leader, it should have
received one FetchReponse from the current leader which should tell it to
purge beyond purgedOffset. The benefit of doing this change is that we can
allow purge operation to succeed when some replica is offline.

Are you OK with this change? If so, I will go ahead to update the KIP and
implement this behavior.

Thanks,
Dong