Jeyhun,

thanks a lot for the KIP!

I think there are two issues we need to address:

(1) The KIP does not consider backward compatibility. Users did complain
about this in past releases already, and as the user base grows, we
should not break backward compatibility in future releases anymore.
Thus, we should think of a better way to allow key access.

Mathieu's comment goes into the same direction

>> On the other hand, the number of compile failures that would need to be
>> fixed from this change is unfortunate. :-)

(2) Another concern is, that there is no guard to prevent user code to
modify the key. This might corrupt partitioning if users do alter the
key (accidentally -- or users are just not aware that they are not
allowed to modify the provided key object) and thus break the
application. (This was the original motivation to not provide the key in
the first place -- it's guards against modification.)

-Matthias