Michael,

Aren't JMS headers an example where the variety is a problem? Unless I'm
misunderstanding, there's not even a fixed serialization format expected
for them since JMS defines the runtime types, not the wire format. For
example, we have JMSCorrelationID (String), JMSExpires (Long), and
JMSReplyTo (Destination). These are simply run time types, so we'd need
either (a) a different serializer/deserializer for each or (b) a
serializer/deserializer that can handle all of them (e.g. Avro, JSON, etc).

What is the actual serialized format of the different fields? And if it's
not specified anywhere in the KIP, why should using the well-known type for
the header key (e.g. use StringSerializer, IntSerializer, etc) be better or
worse than using a general serialization format (e.g. Avro, JSON)? And if
the latter is the choice, how do you decide on the format?

-Ewen