Thanks a lot for responding, Randall! See my comments below.

Regards, Per Steffensen

On 22/05/17 22:36, Randall Hauch wrote:
You're not doing anything wrong, but I suspect you're requesting task reconfiguration more frequently than was originally envisioned, which means that the current implementation is not as optimal for your case.
OK thanks for confirming

I'm not sure how much effort is required to implement this new behavior. The logic for the standalone worker is pretty straightforward, but the logic for the distributed worker is going to be much more involved.
Yeah, when I realized the "problem" I had a short look at the code to see if it was easily fixable. I never went deep into it, but it seem like more than just an hour of work.
But we also need to be careful about changing existing behavior, since it's not hard to imagine connectors that might expect that all tasks be restarted when there are any changes to the task configurations.
FWIW, I think it is a little hard to imagine :-)
If there's any potential that this is the case, we'd have to be sure to keep the existing behavior as the default but to somehow enable the new behavior if desired.
I definitely agree!

One possibility is to add an overloaded requestTaskReconfiguration(boolean changedOnly) that specifies whether only changed tasks should be reconfigured. This way the existing requestTaskReconfiguration() method could be changed to call requestTaskReconfiguration(false), and then the implementation has to deal with this.
Yep, or make is a optional standard-configuration that you can always give a connector. Potato, potato

But again, the bigger challenge is to implement this new behavior in the DistributedHerder. OTOH, perhaps it's not as complicated as I might guess.
Well I would really like to see it happen. Anyone up for it? Am I allowed to create a ticket on this? What if I would like to give it a shot myself. Is there a committer that would help review and eventually commit?
Which branch should I make a PR to?