Hey Colin,

Thanks for the suggestion. We have actually considered this and list this
as the first future work in KIP-112
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-112%3A+Handle+disk+failure+for+JBOD>.
The two advantages that you mentioned are exactly the motivation for this
feature. Also as you have mentioned, this involves the tradeoff between
disk performance and availability -- the more you distribute topic across
disks, the more topics will be offline due to a single disk failure.

Despite its complexity, it is not clear to me that the reduced rebalance
overhead is worth the reduction in availability. I am optimistic that the
rebalance overhead will not be that a big problem since we are not too
bothered by cross-broker rebalance as of now.

Thanks,
Dong