Hi Ismael,

Answers in-line:

1. Have you considered how progress would be reported? Partition
> reassignment can take a long time and it would be good to have a mechanism
> for progress reporting.

The ReassignPartitionsCommand doesn't currently have a mechanism to track
progress. All you can do at the moment is initiate a reassignment (with
--execute), and later check whether the assignment is in the state you
asked for (with --verify). I agree it would be nice to be able to track
progress.

This will be the first 'big' bit of work I've done on Kafka, so I would
prefer to limit the scope of this KIP where possible. That said, I suppose
it could be done by having receiving controllers publish their progress to
ZooKeeper, and adding Protocol and AdminClient API for getting this
information. If you're keen on this I can certainly modify the KIP to add
this.

Alternatively I could write a second KIP to add this ability. What other
long running tasks are there for which we'd like the ability to report
progress? If there are others it might be possible to come up with a common
mechanism.

> 2. Removals can only happen in major releases. In your example, the removal
> could only happen in 2.0.0.

OK, I'll update the KIP.