I think it would useful to make clear somewhere for each metric, the level
at which it's counted.  I don't know all the details of the Kafka protocol
but it might be something like

ProduceRequest, Fetch Request - counted at per-partition level
All other requests are 1:1 with client requests?

Cheers,

Roger