Hi Mickael,

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the KIP. Is this meant to superseed KIP-170 ?
> If so, one of our key requirements was to be able to access the
> topics/partitions list from the policy, so an administrator could
> enforce a partition limit for example.

It's not meant to replace KIP-170 because there are things in KIP-170 which
aren't purely about policy (the change in requests and responses, for
example), which KIP-201 doesn't propose to implement. Obviously there is
overlap when it comes to policies, and both KIPs start with different
motivations for the policy changes they propose. I think it makes sense for
a single KIP address both sets of use cases if possible. I'm happy for that
to be KIP-201 if that suits you.

I think the approach taken in KIP-170, of a Provider interface for
obtaining information that's not intrinsic to the request and a method to
inject that provider into the policy, is a good one. It retains a clean
distinction between the request metadata itself and the wider cluster
metadata, which I think is a good thing. If you're happy Mickael, I'll
update KIP-201 with something similar.

> Also instead of simply having the Java Principal object, could we have
> the KafkaPrincipal ? So policies could take advantage of custom
> KafkaPrincipal object (KIP-189).

Certainly.