Here's the link to KIP-212:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=74684586

I do think it's worthwhile to define the rules for connector names.
However, I think it would be better to describe the current restrictions
for names outside of them appearing within URLs. For example, if we can
keep connector names relatively free of constraints but instead define how
names should be encoded when used within URLs (e.g., URL encoding), then we
may not have (m)any backward compatibility issues other than fixing some
bugs related to proper encoding/decoding.

Thoughts?