It's fine to be more detailed, but ConfigException is already implied for
all other config issues as well.

Default could be either null or just empty string. re: alternatives, if you
wanted to be slightly more detailed (though still a bit vague) re:
supported syntax, you could just say that while Pattern is used, we only
guarantee support for common regular expression syntax. Not sure if there's
a good way of defining what "common" syntax is.

Otherwise LGTM, and thanks for helping fill in a longstanding gap!

-Ewen