Hi all,

I'm starting this discussion early because of the potential impact.

Kafka 1.0.0 was just released and the focus was on achieving the original
project vision in terms of features provided while maintaining
compatibility for the most part (i.e. we did not remove deprecated
components like the Scala clients).

This was the right decision, in my opinion, but it's time to start thinking
about 2.0.0, which is an opportunity for us to remove major deprecated
components and to benefit from Java 8 language enhancements (so that we can
move faster). So, I propose the following for Kafka 2.0.0:

1. It should be released in June 2018
2. The Scala clients (Consumer, SimpleConsumer, Producer, SyncProducer)
will be removed
3. Java 8 or higher will be required, i.e. support for Java 7 will be
dropped.

Thoughts?

Ismael